[Ardour-Users] click free editing and zero crossings

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon May 31 05:46:16 PDT 2010

2010/5/31 Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings at stackingdwarves.net>

> well, the point is: ardour will use fades. so you can pretty much edit
> anywhere.

I thought that this needed highlighting. Its really, really important that
the OP understands this.

The reason that most people are concerned about using "zero crossing" or
some other method of editing is that they use a system that doesn't use
fades in the way that ardour does. If you're using Ardour, you can basically
stop worrying about this. If you (the original OP) are actually finding that
you're having real problems with editing this way, rather than just
nervousness about the apparent lack of a way to make "precise edits", please
let us know.

The one other circumstance that I've seen where precise edits are necessary
is creating loops, but this has nothing to do with finding zero crossings
either. Ardour isn't bad at this but there is an idea that I saw years ago
in another program (I can't remember which) that I'd really love to
implement one day. It basically creates a slightly wierd visual dialog that
has a vertical line down the center, the end of the tentative loop on the
left and the beginning on the right. you can move the line, the left wave or
the right wave until you get things perfect ....

--p