[Ardour-Users] click free editing and zero crossings

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Mon May 31 23:33:11 PDT 2010

Paul Davis wrote:
> 2010/5/31 Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings at stackingdwarves.net>
>

> The one other circumstance that I've seen where precise edits are necessary
> is creating loops, but this has nothing to do with finding zero crossings
> either. Ardour isn't bad at this but there is an idea that I saw years ago
> in another program (I can't remember which) that I'd really love to
> implement one day. It basically creates a slightly wierd visual dialog that
> has a vertical line down the center, the end of the tentative loop on the
> left and the beginning on the right. you can move the line, the left wave or
> the right wave until you get things perfect ....

this is one way some of the video editors allow for editing a cut or cross-fade,
you can select the transition and get a window which shows something quite like
the above, with a number of different ways to adjust the relevant parameters,
and an option to listen to/watch a preview which loops through the point
continuously as you make small adjustments if you want. It is something the user
turns to when fine-tuning a difficult transition.

Apple's Final Cut Pro has had variations of this for a long time, back in the
days when I used OSX and did video editing.

Simon