[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 05:09:53 PST 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 6:21 AM, Arnold Krille <arnold at arnoldarts.de> wrote:

> From my memory 5ms delay is about 1 or two meters of sound. So instead of
> hearing the direct sound from the guitarists amp 5 meters away, they hear
> the
> indirect headphone sound of it "2 meters away". I think they can cope with
> that.

See my previous post, most people(If not all) won't ever hear that
difference.

> And running an analog signal through a lot of RC-parts with all the phase
> shifting is probably not that zero-latency as you might think either.

Running through analog equipment is pretty close to it in most cases.  Close
enough not to worry about it.

> And for the crowd its the less a problem, the bigger the crowd and venue
> is,
> the might here a slight effect when they are really close to the stage and
> the
> PA isn't that loud so they hear both the singer original and trough PA.
> For other instruments: Drum sound is to short to figure out the phasing,
> guitars have the phaser already as an effect, keys are not that loud on
> stage.
> So the effects you hear are to slight to hear them when you are actually
> there
> to listen to the music.

Um...  In a well designed live system you have front fills, things properly
delayed to the proscenium, and really no noticeable phasing problems.  This
is bog standard for a decent live setup in my world.  If you hear the stage
volume first by a few mS this can be a very GOOD thing.  Again see my
imaging on the stage and natural sounding.

> All in all the question isn't whether going digital is ready for live
> usage.
> It is used for that already by _lots_ of productions.
> The question is whether custom-made Linux rigs are ready for live usage.
> And
> there the answers are a bit more spread.

The answers depend on what people are talking about.  If they are talking
about reselling those rigs, which is where this conversation started, the
answer is no, or rather no without a lot more testing, support, and finances
than I think people realize.  If they are talking about using the rigs
themselves where if something goes wrong they can fix it real quick and move
on, then possibly depending on the person.

      Seablade