[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Jan 27 03:26:24 PST 2010

> On Tuesday 26 January 2010 22:48:37 Ross Johnson wrote:
>
>> John Rigg wrote:
>>
>>> This kind of incident is every live sound engineer's nightmare,
>>> and the reason why I keep banging on about reliability of equipment.
>>>
>> No one has yet mentioned the latency inherent in digital systems for
>> live use and particularly stage monitoring systems. Clearly it's not a
>> problem in industrial strength systems or with the higher sampling rates
>> and faster processors. Or do musicians just learn to play with it?
>>
>  From my memory 5ms delay is about 1 or two meters of sound. So instead of
> hearing the direct sound from the guitarists amp 5 meters away, they hear the
> indirect headphone sound of it "2 meters away". I think they can cope with
> that.
>
> And running an analog signal through a lot of RC-parts with all the phase
> shifting is probably not that zero-latency as you might think either.
>
> And for the crowd its the less a problem, the bigger the crowd and venue is,
> the might here a slight effect when they are really close to the stage and the
> PA isn't that loud so they hear both the singer original and trough PA.
> For other instruments: Drum sound is to short to figure out the phasing,
> guitars have the phaser already as an effect, keys are not that loud on stage.
> So the effects you hear are to slight to hear them when you are actually there
> to listen to the music.
>
> All in all the question isn't whether going digital is ready for live usage.
> It is used for that already by _lots_ of productions.
> The question is whether custom-made Linux rigs are ready for live usage. And
> there the answers are a bit more spread.

Good point.

I have personally used aroud for live performance and it was solid as a
rock. I would like to try using it for live mixing too but I don't have
a console, gig or anyone to mix at the moment.

If I had access the latter two I would absolutely be trying out the first.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd