[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed Jan 27 03:21:38 PST 2010

On Tuesday 26 January 2010 22:48:37 Ross Johnson wrote:
> John Rigg wrote:
> > This kind of incident is every live sound engineer's nightmare,
> > and the reason why I keep banging on about reliability of equipment.
>
> No one has yet mentioned the latency inherent in digital systems for
> live use and particularly stage monitoring systems. Clearly it's not a
> problem in industrial strength systems or with the higher sampling rates
> and faster processors. Or do musicians just learn to play with it?

From my memory 5ms delay is about 1 or two meters of sound. So instead of
hearing the direct sound from the guitarists amp 5 meters away, they hear the
indirect headphone sound of it "2 meters away". I think they can cope with
that.

And running an analog signal through a lot of RC-parts with all the phase
shifting is probably not that zero-latency as you might think either.

And for the crowd its the less a problem, the bigger the crowd and venue is,
the might here a slight effect when they are really close to the stage and the
PA isn't that loud so they hear both the singer original and trough PA.
For other instruments: Drum sound is to short to figure out the phasing,
guitars have the phaser already as an effect, keys are not that loud on stage.
So the effects you hear are to slight to hear them when you are actually there
to listen to the music.

All in all the question isn't whether going digital is ready for live usage.
It is used for that already by _lots_ of productions.
The question is whether custom-made Linux rigs are ready for live usage. And
there the answers are a bit more spread.

Arnold