[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 14:04:20 PST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 1:52 PM, John Rigg <au at jrigg.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 01:07:52PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> The 'computer' doesn't have to be a 'PC'. It could be an embedded
>> system running Linux inside a box that looks like anything, including
>> a mixer.
>
> True.
>
>> The last Yes show I saw was 100% automated - sound, lights,
>> everything.
>
> A lot of it would have been automated, but not all.
>
>> All the VUs were just gadgets on CRTs built into some sort
>> of console. the console did have faders. I couldn't get close enough
>> to see who the manufacturer was but it was my impression it was just a
>> some sort of microprocessor based system.
>
> Quite possible, but the user interface on the newer digital mixers is pretty
> sophisticated. In live work it's essential to have instant (or as near
> instant as possible) access to controls. If it's necessary to page through
> menus or use a mouse to adjust something it's usually too late.
>
>> I don't see why a Linux based machine couldn't be put into a very
>> specific sort of console box.
>
> Allen & Heath have already done it with the iLive series.
>
> John

You're more in touch with this than I am. I'm only presenting an idea
for some industrious individual who wants to help Paul make some money
could do. There are a lot of small Linux boxes now - 2"x6"x6" - Mac
mini sized. If you found one with 1394 then possibly you could set up
a small system for specific types of bands. It's just an idea that
popped into my head looking at the SAWStudio site.

I just don't think it pays to be too negative, as well as being realistic.

- Mark