[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 14:07:58 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Ross Johnson
<Ross.Johnson at homemail.com.au>wrote:

> John Rigg wrote:
>
>> This kind of incident is every live sound engineer's nightmare,
>> and the reason why I keep banging on about reliability of equipment.
>>

> No one has yet mentioned the latency inherent in digital systems for live
> use and particularly stage monitoring systems. Clearly it's not a problem in
> industrial strength systems or with the higher sampling rates and faster
> processors. Or do musicians just learn to play with it?
>
> I own an O2R that I used early in it's life for live FOH plus foldback and
> I once had a drummer ask during sound check if I knew where the delay was
> coming from that he was hearing/feeling as he whacked his snare drum.

Money says the delay was not from the console, which going off memory the
O2R should have less than 1.5mS latency, or less than the time it takes
sound to travel 2 feet.  In fact that is fairly standard for just about any
digital console, and the human ear in general, even trained ears, don't hear
delays <3mS, and really the vast majority of people wouldn't hear <10mS.
The Haas effect describes how the human ear hears multiple versions of the
same sound in time for up to about 40mS IIRC.

       Seablade