[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

michael noble looplog at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 21:13:51 PST 2010

I don't really want to wade too deeply into the revenue debate, but...

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 12:57 PM, John Emmas <johne53 at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> The issue here is simply that one swallow doesn't make a summer.  Nor
> can one lone developer have any expectation of competing with commercial
> giants like Steinberg and Digidesign.  The problem isn't that there's not
> enough income to keep Paul going.  It's that there isn't enough income to
> pay the number of devs that would be needed to get Ardour into the big
> league (where, in all honesty, it deserves to be).  And I'm sorry Paul but
> think you need to stand up and shoulder the blame for that.  Here's why....

As far as I know, SAWStudio has a single lead developer, if you are looking
for proprietary comparisons. It's also used very successfully (commercially,
by most peoples' standards apparently) in broadcasting and studio
installations, again so far as I know. Where is the justification that a
single developer cannot produce a professional quality DAW?

-m