[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Jan 24 20:43:12 PST 2010

>> 4)  Charging for "added value" items, such as manuals, printed logo
>> stickers, special keyboard overlays etc.
>>
> since i have not been responsible for creating any such material, i'm
> not going try to claim it as a revenue stream. if i find time to do
> something that is actually useful in this regard, then i would
> certainly take this up, and in fact, i should reinstate the t-shirt
> link to zazzle.com ...

- Could the merchandise links also be promoted with the donation links
as alternative/additional funding options?

Then the revenue earned from the sales can be factored into the monthly
income earned from the community.

That might encourage more people to purchase merchndise and consequently
display it proudly when they see the results going back to ardour dev
directly.

-  Simply put the community based funding system could be much more
dynamic than it currently is. I still think the bounty system is under
utilised and therefore under represented.

Currently it is just a finger in the air kind of thing. It should be
more dynamic with action required from the developers to set the time
limit for development and estimated cost of the feature request. There
could be milestones that require a certain amount of money to be paid up
once reached with regular emails sent to bounty watchers and interested
members. It could also be displayed directly ont he aroud interface by
default with a subscribe to disable or compile it yourself option.

This system could become more addictive and game like for casual users
as they see the results of their investments and get into the habit of
watching the ticker for their pet bounty.. Once the target is close to
being reached I think we will see a lot more people contributing funds
to get it across the finish line.

If we make it fun for people to participate in the funding and
development cycle then we will see more people participating. Right now
it is a very dry affair and we have to remember to check back to see
what is going on in terms of donations each month.

I am happy to volunteer some time towards making the system more dynamic.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd