[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.8.5 released

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jan 25 02:22:50 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "michael noble" <looplog at gmail.com>

> As far as I know, SAWStudio has a single lead developer, if you are
> looking for proprietary comparisons. It's also used very successfully
> (commercially, by most peoples' standards apparently) in broadcasting and
> studio installations, again so far as I know. Where is the justification
> that a single developer cannot produce a professional quality DAW?

Here's the justification Michael....  I've worked in broadcasting all my
life and have never even heard of SAWStudio.  However, I'm NOT implying that
it isn't a quality product - only that it might not be as ubiquitous as you
think it is.

Most technical endeavours reach the stage where a quantum leap is needed to
propel them into the jet stream.  And the funding is (surprisingly often)
found through voluntary donations.  But the really big donations tend only
to come in for pioneering work - i.e. breaking technical barriers that have
never been breached before.  With no disrespect intended to Ardour, it's
more about reaching its own internal goals than about creating a new way of
doing things.  This means that really serious voluntary funding will always
be difficult to sustain.

In my view, voluntary funding has probably reached its "jet stream"
boundary - where a quantum leap of effort would be needed to raise it
significantly above its current level.  I might be wrong - but ironically,
even if I'm wrong, the safe bet would be to assume that I'm right..!

I'm pleased to see that some of the ideas from last year are being seriously
considered or have even been implemented, because I did wonder whether all
that input had been for nothing.

My advice remains the same though, for what it's worth....  assume that
voluntary subscriptions are probably at their peak and concentrate more on
the alternatives.  Diversity (as ever) is the best recipe for success.

Cheers,

John