[Ardour-Users] OSX vs Linux

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 21:44:46 PDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 1:50 PM, Rob Quin <robquin at uklinux.net> wrote:

> If anyone out there thinks that, when I used the term DIY, I was implying
> second rate then let me state that I was not. When I opt to do DIY on my
> house I do so because I want to do the job to a higher standard than a
> tradesman would do it. Same with my OS. In Linux I want, expect and get an
> OS
> that is superior (for my purposes) than the other OSes

Sorry took a while before I could get back to this;)

The term DIY does not imply second rate to me, and I didn't mean to imply
anything of the sort in my response.  What it does imply to me, however, is
that users would be FORCED to do more work to get it working for basic
pro-audio needs when compared to other OSes, which I disagree with the
concept that that might have to be the case in the future(As most of us
already are aware, that IS the case currently more than it should be).

I agree that Linux is a community driven effort in general, and that
specifically the pro-audio community is its own driving force at the
moment(Albiet much smaller driving force than other communities that make up
the Linux ecosystem, but that is neither here nor there:).  I agree that the
community certainly can help to make it better, though it takes more than
just a willing community to do so obviously.

      Seablade