[Ardour-Users] OSX vs Linux

John Rigg au at jrigg.co.uk
Tue Aug 25 05:56:11 PDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 08:50:49PM +0100, Rob Quin wrote:
> > On Sunday 23 August 2009 02:32:38 pm Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> > > For the record, I strongly disagree with the concept that any
> > > distribution of Linux needs to be a DIY system.  That defeats one of the
> > > main purposes of distributions, otherwise we would all run LFS.
>
> If anyone out there thinks that, when I used the term DIY, I was implying
> second rate then let me state that I was not. When I opt to do DIY on my
> house I do so because I want to do the job to a higher standard than a
> tradesman would do it. Same with my OS. In Linux I want, expect and get an OS
> that is superior (for my purposes) than the other OSes

I too use Linux because it allows me to set it up to do the job I need it to
do. Much of my recording hardware is heavily modified or built from scratch
for the same reason - it suits my working methods better than any "out
of the box" solution can.

I understand that not everyone wants this, but if it wasn't for the fact that
Linux is so configurable, right down to the level of modifying source code,
I'd probably still be recording on tape.

John