[Ardour-Users] OSX vs Linux

Rob Quin robquin at uklinux.net
Mon Aug 24 12:50:49 PDT 2009

> On Sunday 23 August 2009 02:32:38 pm Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 6:45 AM, Rob Quin <robquin at uklinux.net> wrote:
> > > Linux is a DIY operating system.
> >
> > For the record, I strongly disagree with the concept that any
> > distribution of Linux needs to be a DIY system.  That defeats one of the
> > main purposes of distributions, otherwise we would all run LFS.

I feel a little bit misunderstood here. I don't want to use LFS. In the 10
years that I have been using Linux I have seen massive improvements. These
improvements have been achieved by us (the Linux community). We DID IT
OURSELVES by putting our time into the development of Linux. If Linux is to
continue to improve, which I want wholeheartedly, then we will have to
continue to put our time in. I think that it is realistic for users of Linux
to expect to put a certain amount of their time into it. It would however be
sad if we were putting our time into the same issues next year that we are
addressing this year. I want progress.

If anyone out there thinks that, when I used the term DIY, I was implying
second rate then let me state that I was not. When I opt to do DIY on my
house I do so because I want to do the job to a higher standard than a
tradesman would do it. Same with my OS. In Linux I want, expect and get an OS
that is superior (for my purposes) than the other OSes

I do not want to knock the other OSes either. Each OS has its own feel that
largely derives from the ethos behind it. The commercial OSes are not for me
but then not everybody is the same as me so let others enjoy their own
choices.

Regards, Rob