[ardour-users] [Jackit-devel] Sends in Ardour, ports in Jack

audio lathe audiolathe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 00:28:37 PST 2006

Hello again,
I got the message that I must have been missing something when it came to
exporting tracks from ardour and I figured out how to do the region export
from the master track to export my song(s), but it's not quite what I was
trying to achieve (yet).

I've never really introduced myself even though I've been lurking for a
while with the odd question, I'm a noobie to audio production world and an
old hat at unixy software. I had Logic with windoze but it was a mess. I
decided that I would invest my time learning about audio production with
ardour about three years ago and put my efforts into building a kicking
Linux Box(s). Ardour is the only audio production software I've used.

I never thought I'd be in a hot band, I've always been a computer geek so
the entire music thing is new to me. My band mates are as impressed with
ardour as I am,  we just plug in and record all day (no hassles with sludgy
filesystem performance late in the day or bsod) so they don't mind my
geekyness. So far we've recorded about 17 of our songs, enough for a decent
cd, which I'm working on at nights and in the mornings.

So I've been trying not to post unnecessarily and work things out for myself
but I have a hard time keeping up with the amount of posts to this list
which means I often miss things and end up searching searching searching, I
do RTFM. I buy as many audio production books as I can and it's been a
serious learning curve. I know what I want to achieve but often don't know
how to explain properly so I'm sorry, I don't mean to waste anybodies time
(especially you Paul as I can understand a software project such as this
must be a HUGE effort).

I figured with my last post I told you guys what I was doing and not what I
was trying to achieve. So I'm gonna try, please forgive or correct my
terminology where I get it wrong.

I've been working on our track's 'gain structure' prior to effects sends to
identify transient sounds and adjust the gain automation where the
transients occur, so I cat get a nice meaty raw volume before I start with
the effects (I use some low/band/high pass filtering and eq plug-ins in the
pre-fader section). I've got some VU meters and set 0vu to roughly -13db on
the ardour peak meters using a 1khz tone as a starting point. From there I
record the tracks onto a spare track and look for indications of clipping in
the recorded track to adjust the gain automation of certain parts that cause
the transient sounds that result in clipping. Once I'm happy with that I
recalibrate the vu to my next target and repeat the process two or three
times prior to compression and other effects.

I got to the stage of using the busses to put effects in the mix and my
intention was to repeat the same process with the effects busses in the mix,
when I found the busses won't record to the spare track. To avoid clipping
and smooth the transient sounds  produced by the effects into the mix I
thought I might be able to record onto a spare track so I can see when I am
close or over the line.

Is there any other way I can do this, I don't even know if there is a right
way.

I'd appreciate any advice - Thanks