[Ardour-Users] Ardour as a midi timecode slave

robertlazarski robertlazarski at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 13:21:55 PDT 2021

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 9:43 AM Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>
wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 08:36:42 -1000, robertlazarski wrote:
> >it only showed midi connections in the qjackctl alsa pane, not the
> >midi pane
>
> Hi,
>
> the MIDI tab is for jack MIDI and the ALSA tab is for ALSA MIDI.
> Actually connecting to external MIDI hardware is done via ALSA MIDI.
> Depending on the used setup, you need to bridge jack and ALSA MIDI.
> Keyword "a2j_control", while it's not the one and only universal
> keyword. However, there are a few questions, are you using jack1 or
> jack2 and what version of jack1 or jack2? Even if you should be able to
> connect all MIDI devices, MIDI jitter could be, but not necessarily be
> another issue. And apart from this, if you should use several equal MIDI
> devices, automatically connecting could become a PITA. While you can
> make it possible to distinguish between several identical audio
> devices, there's no way to do the same for MIDI devices.
>
> Your approach, as far as I understand or misunderstand it, is asking for
> trouble. If it's impossible to use the
> one_DAW/sequencer_only+plugins_approach, then at least try to
> reconsider, if time code sync, let alone clock sync, is a reasonable
> solution.
>
> The reply from Chris Caudle mentions another approach, that seemingly
> doesn't fit to your needs. Maybe you should describe what you actually
> want to archive, by describing the real scenario.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf
>
> --
> “Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
>
> ― Charles Ives

Thanks for the reply. Here's what I am trying to accomplish.

I have a youtube channel that captures "live in the studio" multi camera
performances that are synced with LTC. Nearly all of my gear is analog,
even my sequencers. Up until now, my sequencers have run the entire track
from start to finish.

For my track in progress, I am using the Analogue Solutions Oberkorn for
the main sequencer. After the intro and for the first verse only I want to
start and then a few seconds later stop arguably the most ambitious
hardware midi sequencer in history - the Genoqs Octopus. To start the track
and finish the track I want to run a short sample.

Midi start and stop on the Octopus as a slave requires a continuous midi
clock to set BPM. Midi jitter and timing perfection isn't that important as
the sequence is short. So I need a midi clock generator. And possibly
several midi clock output connections, for future expansion.

Ardour can handle the sample parts with oscsend via jltctrigger. I can run
midi commands from jltctrigger. Getting a midi clock generated via jack is
my current problem to overcome. Before I buy a midi interface, I am testing
with Linux sequencers to see if they can be slaved to start/stop on the bpm
from the jack_midi_clock project.

I am using Jack2 1.9.12. I have been on OpenSuse since 2003 so that's my
distro for now, on leap 15. The other approach suggested was a Python
project - not one of my languages and it has no Jack support.

Thanks!
Robert