[Ardour-Users] Scarlett 2i2 ver 3 - audio from ardour stops, other sources have no problems

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 16:12:42 PDT 2020

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 2:23 PM m.eik michalke <m at reaktanz.de> wrote:

> Am Samstag, 11. April 2020, 18:01:13 CEST schrieb Mark Knecht:
> > Great info on how the HWE LTS releases work. I tried it out on the
> > Virtualbox VM I built and it worked like a charm. I wanted the Mixbus
> > laptop to be an LTS machine so that I wouldn't be updating. I may go
back
> > to 18.04 LTS, upgrade the kernel and see if that was all that was
required.
> > A little more work now but potentially more stable and a better fit for
my
> > needs.
>
> i'm glad it was helpful.
>
> i'd wait for the next LTS release which is scheduled for this month
(20.04),
> and not go back to 18.04. you should be able to upgrade from 19.10 (and
you
> will have to, as it's only supported for 9 months IIRC). you should
probably
> wait until june/july when 20.04.1 is ready, which would also be the moment
> when a direct upgrade from 18.04 is available (i.e., you can upgrade from
one
> LTS release to the next one, but only after its first point release, so
you'll
> not ruin your stable system with too many initially shipped bugs).

As is usually the case by the time I get around to reading email I've
already done the work, mostly because with nothing on the machine it's such
an automated task to install Kubuntu from scratch it's pretty much start
the DVD and after a couple of questions walk away.

Anyway, I'm now running 18.04. I've blacklisted the internal sound card,
the Scarlett is the default device with the 5.3.0-46 kernel and everything
seems to be running fine. Again, no recording yet, possibly tonight if I
get inspired, but no obvious problems with the Scarlett under this kernel.

Agreed about updating to a new LTS too quickly. Will likely wait until the
end of summer. For my needs of just sitting around capturing song ideas I
appear to have everything I need.

Very deep thanks for your help as well as all others who responded. It's
made my life much happier in these trying times.

Cheers,
Mark