[Ardour-Users] Scarlett 2i2 ver 3 - audio from ardour stops, other sources have no problems

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 15:57:31 PDT 2020

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 11:21 AM Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>
wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 18:45:24 +0100, Anahata wrote:
> >On Wed, Apr 08, 2020 at 10:25:19AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> >
> >> at some point while using Mixbus audio out
> >> of the Scarlett just stops. Mixbus continues to work - all meters are
> >> running - but audio stops coming out of the Scarlett. Sometimes the
> >> Mixbus error log will show an xrun, sometimes not.
> >
> >The fact that it's a laptop and you mention xruns makes me wonder if
> >you have Wireless networking active? If so, the first thing I'd try is
> >disabling that, as it's certainly known to break latency on many
> >systems. It's a stretch from that to audio stopping completely, but
> >let's eliminate that possibility first.

Thanks to all who have answered. The responses are showing up here in a
couple of threads so I'll try to consolidate here:

1) I've tested with Wifi turned on and off and also using wired networking.
Bluetooth was always disabled. It's possibly a bit better with Wifi off but
it did fail. It would take time to determine if it's really better but I
can say it still happened twice using a wired network connection so I don't
quite yet think this is the root cause. That said one time I started a
Netflix video, had a long delay, and when the video finally started sound
was gone. I pulled and reinserted the USB cable and sound started up. I
tried this through a couple of reboots 4 or 5 more times and they all
worked fine.

2) I will investigate a different USB cable.

3) While I haven't used the Scarlett in a lot of other configurations it
was 100% stable under Windows on a different laptop using Native
Instruments stuff and has never caused me any concern on my larger HDSP
9652 system. I can do more testing on the big system to verify though.

QUESTION: I don't know that xruns are even involved in this. Most of the
time they are not called out in the log file. However if xruns are somehow
involved is there a way to tell Ardour to simply ignore xruns? For my
immediate needs - just playing at night in some corner of the house
capturing ideas - I don't care about a few pops and glitches. Longer term I
want to solve this problem but my immediate needs don't require it. (Heck -
my immediate needs are met by pulling the cable - it's just frustrating!)

Thanks,
Mark