[Ardour-Users] GUI toolkit support

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Nov 16 12:29:55 PST 2018

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 3:16 PM Gunter Königsmann <gunter at peterpall.de>
wrote:

> What I don't understand is: Why cannot the plugin makers link their
> plugins statically? This way they no more depend on the application that
> uses them using exactly the Right libraries...

Neither Qt nor GTK can be fully statically linked into an application. They
both use run-time/dynamic linking to pull in optional
features/functionality.

They also both have global static variables and other design issues that
prevent correct operation if two different major versions are present in
the same address space.