[Ardour-Users] acoustic guitar tone

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Mon Mar 5 10:03:49 PST 2018

jonetsu <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> writes:

> I do not use any pickups.  Yet, at least.  I use two mics, each to
> their own channel in Ardour (I actually use Mixbus32C).  I also use
> Pulltec emulations on for each (and/or in busses, depends).  I use one
> omni and one condenser.  Audio-Technica AT2020 and AT2021, from a
> certain distance.  When too close I found that they pick up too much
> fret noise.  People told me that fret noise is nice that's why it's an
> acoustic guitar although I find it very distracting in recordings.

Know what's funny? Just a few days ago I recorded accordion and I used a
hypercardioid in reasonable proximity to the treble side in order get
more noise from the pallets.  Because I was using something akin to
"cassotto" which was rather flute-like and in the context of a combo
piece, I wanted to go for different "instruments" by having the
appropriate noises and articulation (for "flute", basically
comparatively short passages in legato with "breath" pauses taken before
the next phrase).  The versions before that basically had the right
notes at the right time in unspecific articulation.

Fret and plucking noises are part of guitar sound.  Obviously a good
player keeps them reasonably under control but they may be part of
structuring the sound.

--
David Kastrup