[Ardour-Users] acoustic guitar tone

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Mon Mar 5 07:55:01 PST 2018

On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 15:20:20 +0100
"Axel 'the C.L.A.' Müller" <axel-mueller-74 at web.de> wrote:

> If using M/S there'd also be some freedom to play with the polar
> pattern of the center mic in such a setup, I think.

Coincidentally I was told recently by Michael White (mix/master
engineer, Whitney Houston, David Byrne, David Bowie, James Taylor,
etc... just saying so that I'm not speaking through my hat) that he
would not use M/S for acoustic guitar as it's more fit for choirs and
such, wide spaces.  I asked since the MPA2 stereo tube preamp I use has
a Mid/Side matrix option for use with cardiod/omni mics.

I did try M/S because it's there on the equipment, way before
asking Mike.  I've heard less focus and more ambient noise, including
frets, which can always be processed if not laboriously waveform-edited
to minimize them (which I did practice at that time) but why bother ?
The purpose is focus on the guitar, not the sounds around on the sides.
Unless it's in a church or other 'rich' environment perhaps.  And
Antoine's sound is squarely and clearly all about focus and details.