[Ardour-Users] Recording to Midi accompaniment

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Feb 17 04:36:06 PST 2018

On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 5:35 AM, David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:

> Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> writes:
>
> > Ardour's own audio/MIDI backend use realtime scheduling as well. It was
> > written by the same people who wrote JACK, except with the benefit of
> > another decade's worth of experience.
>
> Looks like most of my replies here get lost in moderation for some
> reason.

​There is no moderation on this list except for posts by non-members, which
are ignored.​

> Let me just reply to this point: I find it makes good sense to
> run the realtime code from a separate program in order to limit its
> footprint.

​What do you think Ardour (or any other DAW or processing application) is
doing in its process() callback? A substantial part of the core of the
Ardour runs realtime because its job is processing audio/MIDI ... that's
true whether or not you use JACK or Ardour's own internal audio/MIDI
backends. There's way more code that runs realtime than the part directly
woken by waiting on one or more audio/MIDI devices.

​