[Ardour-Users] Recording to Midi accompaniment

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Wed Feb 14 11:58:27 PST 2018

Brett McCoy <idragosani at gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 2:03 PM, David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:

>> > Move the MIDI track over one bar and put the metronome click into an
>> > earphone.
>>
>> I can (and probably should) move the MIDI track over one bar.  I'll have
>> to check how to do it but there really is no way to avoid this sensibly
>> if you want to record before the beat.  I get that much.
>>
>> Now "put the metronome click into an earphone" is very unspecific.  If I
>> use "record with count-in", recording starts on the beat which is too
>> late.  If I use "record with pre-roll", I either don't get a metronome
>> click, or I have to switch on the metronome explicitly, meaning that the
>> metronome persists throughout the piece which is less than musical.
>>

> Record the metronome click onto a single audio track for just the opening
> bar.

Can I actually record Ardour's click?  I mean, short of wiring a
loopback?

It's a public demo I'm doing, so too many contortions would be
embarrassing.  As I said: I get that shifting the Midi track to the
right is necessary for a smooth beginning.  But would it be sensible
maybe for Ardour to be recording during any count-in anyway?  It could
be stealthily so that you just move back the region beginning to get
more material, or just by default.  Which would also help with pickup
measures.

Of course, the other way to do this in the demo is to just hack the Midi
track by adding wood block or something and possibly a cue for the
starting note.  I have to see whether I can get comfortable enough with
Midi editing to pull this off but it would likely look scary.

--
David Kastrup