[Ardour-Users] Korg nanoKONTROL2

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sun Jan 29 15:41:07 PST 2017

Hi,

I am trying to work with the Korg nanoKONTROL2 (currently with Ardour
5.0 from Ubuntu Zesty) and it's enfuriatingly "almost there".

There is a Generic Midi mapping file called "Korg nanoKONTROL2 with
Master" (and one without Master) that works great for the controls in
"CC Mode".

When one uses the KORG KONTROL editor under Wine to change the factory
defaults for best use under Ardour, the _right_ option to use is not
changing the controls from "momentary" to "toggle" (as recommended in
some archived discussions) but rather to switch the LED mode from
"Internal" to "External".  That way, the nanoKONTROL2 will follow any
changes you make to the channel strips in the GUI rather than on the
nanoKONTROL2 itself.  So where is the "almost there" bit?  The LEDs on
the transport controls stay off.  In particular on the (global) record
enable.  The per-track LEDs are fine.

I don't see anything I could configure in the Midi definition files
regarding sending information _out_ to a controller rather than in, even
though it works for the channel LEDs (presumably because they are bound
to controllers rather than Ardour actions).

So, take 2: switch the nanoKONTROL2 to one of its DAW modes (4 of the
five are Mackie Control modes for different DAWs, the last one is HUI
which is not supported by Ardour).  I like how Ardour designates an own
"Mackie Control In/Out" bus in this case.

"Macki Control" works reasonably well regarding most functionality.
However, the global record enable button does not light up before
pressing "play", and it does not switch itself off either.  So if you
want it to mirror the actual global record enable setting, you need to
tell Ardour not to switch global record enable off automatically after
recording.

And I found no DAW mode of the nanoKONTROL2 and no Mackie Control
Protocol of Ardour where the Marker Set/Left/Right buttons would do
something sensible (and the Cycle button also is often useless).

Now the nanoKONTROL2 does not permit changing the various commands in
its DAW modes, and Ardour does not appear to allow changing individual
assignments in its Mackie Control modes.

So for this "almost there" bit I again seem to lack the configurability
for taking either of the two participants over the last minor hurdles.

Suggestions how to go from here?

--
David Kastrup