[Ardour-Users] Change locale

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Mon Feb 13 02:47:31 PST 2017

On 02/13/2017 11:09 AM, JoergSorge wrote:

> Hi, Robin,
>
>> From withing Ardour, you cannot.
>>
>> In Ardour there's Preferences > General > Translation to ignore the
>> system-locale.
>>
>> You can set the LANG environment variable before starting Ardour,
>> though. e.g. `LANG=en_US.UTF-8 Ardour5`  (You could edit the ardour
>> statup script and put it there).
>
> Have I create a startup script or where can I find it?
> Ragards

I suggest to try it first and check if the translation matches your
expectation before making it permanent by adding it to the script.

On GNU/Linux and [Mac]OS[X] the main Ardour executable is a shell script.

On Linux, if you've got Ardour from ardour.org,
/opt/Ardour-5.*/bin/ardour5 or for most Linux distros: /usr/bin/ardour5,
on Mac: /Applications/Ardour5.app/Contents/MacOS/Ardour5

You can add some   `export LANG=XXXX` there.

On Windows it's a bit more work: You have to create a .bat wrapper or
edit the start-menu shortcut and set the variable there.

ciao,
robin