[Ardour-Users] Change locale

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Feb 13 02:38:23 PST 2017

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 11:09:54 +0100, JoergSorge wrote:
>Hi, Robin,
>
>> From withing Ardour, you cannot.
>>
>> In Ardour there's Preferences > General > Translation to ignore the
>> system-locale.
>>
>> You can set the LANG environment variable before starting Ardour,
>> though. e.g. `LANG=en_US.UTF-8 Ardour5`  (You could edit the ardour
>> statup script and put it there).
>
>Have I create a startup script or where can I find it?
>Ragards

You at least could write a wrapper and edit a copy of Ardour's desktop
file.

I once needed to do this for a calculator.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ grep -v Comment /usr/share/applications/mate-calc-de.desktop | grep -v Name
[Desktop Entry]
Exec=mate-calc-de
Icon=accessories-calculator
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Categories=GTK;Utility;Calculator;
X-MATE-DocPath=mate-calc/mate-calc.xml
X-MATE-Bugzilla-Bugzilla=MATE
X-MATE-Bugzilla-Product=mate-calc
X-MATE-Bugzilla-Component=general
X-MATE-Bugzilla-OtherBinaries=mate-calculator
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ cat /usr/local/bin/mate-calc-de
#!/bin/dash
LANG=de_DE.utf8 exec mate-calc "$@"

Nowadays I'm using extcalc. It works with an English locales and a
German keyboard.