[Ardour-Users] analog summing

Alexandre de Faria alexdefaria at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 17 11:20:40 PST 2017

hey Matt,

Regardless of what one may say, the analog world sounds better.  bouncing your mix ITB sounds less lively than OTB. That includes plugins vs outboard gear too. I've got 2 Pultec eqs and made several tests comparing the plugins vs the real thing. It's a joke!

For track mastering for example, the difference between ITB vs OTB is relevant.

But it will all come down to how practical you need to be. Doing things OTB is a pain.... recall sheets and so forth...

I usually mix through my Studer 269 mixing desk when I need top sound. Just going through the Studer in the Stereo Master chain results in a out of the world difference in sound space, warmth and life. But bear in mind the Studer 269 has that colour sound of the old desks.

I hope that helped somehow.

Cheers
Alex

Sent from my iPad