[Ardour-Users] analog summing

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Dec 17 11:50:22 PST 2017

On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 17:20:40 -0200, Alexandre de Faria wrote:
>Regardless of what one may say, the analog world sounds better.

We used a Studer mixing console at the video studio of the
Universität-Gesamthochschule Essen in the 80s. Without doubts this is
analog gear that provides a welcome colouring/neutrality ;), but than
again, important is the whole audio signal chain. I wouldn't pay for
some obscure device to improve mastering done with Ardour. Use Ardour
with a professional audio interface and one of those known analog mixing
consoles based on discrete circuits or just by recording using cheap
tube preamps, if you really need "analog warmth". I'm an analog dino, I
like analog gear, but I'm much sceptic regarding special devices,
especially made for digital recordings, to provide some vague
imagination of what analog sound should be.