[Ardour-Users] analog summing

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Dec 17 05:06:12 PST 2017

On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 12:35:49 +0000, Matt Keys wrote:
>I'm not really trying to do anything at the moment other than
>understand when and why you'd want to use something like the 2-bus
>(http://dangerousmusic.com/product/2-bus-plus/), or how it is
>different than for example the stereo main outs of a 16 channel analog
>mixer? Is the extra 'color' claim completely bullshit?

Most important for the mix are the used power cords, see
https://www.thomann.de/gb/vovox_initio_power_180.htm?ref=search_rslt_powercord_251685 ;D.

IOW it most likely is bullshit! Indeed analog gear could improve the
sound, in the same way as digital equipment could improve the sound.
However, to improve the audio quality you need to take care of the
complete sound chain. Perhaps replacing a pro-sumer audio interface by
a professional audio interface is a good starting point. Or replacing a
cheap microchip based mixing console by a more expensive, discrete
circuit based mixing console. Or ...