[Ardour-Users] modular synths -- was Re: analog summing

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Dec 22 11:08:16 PST 2017

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 19:34:29 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>I rather would recommend to listen to passages of e.g. some Jean Michel
>Jarre, Kraftwerk and perhaps even Beatles songs

Perhaps replace the Beatles with Grateful Dead or maybe Hawkwind ;),
don't care about the compositions, just about what the synth are able to
do. Even 80s chart music is good to experience the sound of analog
synth, that can't be emulated yet. The music might be crap, the synth
aren't crap and btw. in the 80s the tuning already was stable and it
was possible to store and restore the sounds. Minimalistic music, but
not necessarily crap: Regarding sound listen to e.g.
Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft or regarding handling filters, while
playing something stupid "Requiem" from Killing Joke.