[Ardour-Users] modular synths -- was Re: analog summing

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Dec 22 10:34:29 PST 2017

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 12:27:25 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Al Thompson <althompson58 at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>​I would absolutely suggest that you do not start with any of these
>artists :)
>
>These artists all have their particular mastery of synths, but they
>play in a very particular style that puts the emphasis on "virtuosity"
>and (with the general exception of wendy carlos) play fairly typical
>keyboard styles in the context of "prog rock".
>
>A broad introduction to the sonic capabilities of analog synths needs
>to go significantly beyond this particular
>"synth+keyboard+virtuosic-performer" style.​ It also may mean dropping
>any non-analog-synth context (though this may be jarring for some),
>and it may mean avoiding virtuosic performers, who despite their
>skills, sometimes play "too much" if the goal is to appreciate what
>the machine rather than the performer can do.

+1

I rather would recommend to listen to passages of e.g. some Jean Michel
Jarre, Kraftwerk and perhaps even Beatles songs to experience some
sounds that even after being recorded are still different in a
positive way, compared to digital emulations. Even a not that good
sound sampler as the Prophet 2000 or Studio 440 has got it's advantage
compared with much better sound samplers, because of the unique analog
sound.

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 15:27:49 +0000, Gordonjcp wrote:
>Yes, I've owned and repaired analogue synths for years.

Hard to believe. Often musicians are satisfied by a good emulation,
then they decide to play their old synth again and after that they
can't stand the emulation anymore.

--
$ pacman -Q linux{,-rt{,-cornflower,-pussytoes}}|awk '{print $2}'
4.14.7-1