[Ardour-Users] call for feedback -- basic set of bundled plugins

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 15:07:15 PDT 2016

On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 8:21 AM, Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:

> For those who have been around in May'15, this list is based on a
> request from a well known Linux Tonmeister: "four-band parametric EQ,
> compressor, a high-pass, a non-feedback delay, and a reverb" [1].

So keep in mind i haven't had a chance to dig through the current
selection, but just wanted to comment on the list (And if the tonmeister is
who I think it is, it wouldn't surprise me if he runs across this soon as
he started teaching as well not to long ago IIRC)

Well there are three things I Could add to that list based off my
introductory mixing classes:

An expander (That can double as a noise gate, but a true expander is more
useful because of flexibility in my opinion)
A Chorus
Multiband Compressor.

These combined with the tools above provide most of the introductory mixing
I teach in my first semester, so I would put forth these could be included
for a 'basic introductory set'

Obviously each will have their opinion, just thinking of what gets used by
my introductory students the most.  Expander/Noise Gate is a very useful
tool in general, not only for thingsl ike drums, but also noisy guitar
amps, etc.  Yes I do teach how to edit the 'silence' but I am also teaching
how to use the tools.  The chorus more for building a stereo image, and the
widening effect in some cases than just for the tonality changes, again
building basic stereo image in a mix is key.  And the Multiband compressor
for basic introduction into multiband processing, and how it effects your
sound.

    Seablade