[Ardour-Users] call for feedback -- basic set of bundled plugins

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sun Jul 17 05:21:30 PDT 2016

On 07/16/2016 10:58 AM, Damien Delpiroux wrote:

>> Yet one last step remains: Once we start shipping these plugins the
>> sound and exposed parameters should not change. And who's better for QA
>> than users who will actually use them?
>>
>> Please grab a http://nightly.ardour.org/ build (or compile latest git
>> and) let us know what you think and if you deem these plugins adequate
>> for a basic workflow.
>
> Cool. I can relay to the frog community.
> I can participate, anyway I'm a drumer and I really NEED a gate.

How about you use <some gate plugin> for now?

For those who have been around in May'15, this list is based on a
request from a well known Linux Tonmeister: "four-band parametric EQ,
compressor, a high-pass, a non-feedback delay, and a reverb" [1].

One could argue that for Drums good microphones and proper placement are
more essential than a gate :) Though I suppose a gate can be added to
the the list sooner or later. Maybe Damien Z. can contribute ZamGate.

>> Bonus points for a mix done entirely with a-* plugins.
> I need a gate to do this.
>

>> * a-Compressor
>>
>> Mono/Stereo compressor with optional Sidechain input.
>> Based on zamComp.
> Ok, essential.

Any feedback on "usability" ?

>> * a-Delay
>>
>> A non-feedback delay with optional BPM sync and low-pass filter.
>> Based on zamDelay
>
> Is this really essential? Anyway, BPM sync is really cool.

I suppose it depends whom you ask.

> I profit for ask: What BPM sync plugin do you knows for ardour? (me, none)

The midifilters do (strum for example), Harrison's 3D Triple Delay,
ZamDelay itself and probably a few others.

>> * a-EQ
>>
>> A 4 Band Equalizer with hi/low shelf using SVF Filters (inspired by
>> Andrew Simper).
> Ok, essential.
>

>> * a-High/Low Pass Filter
>>
>> A standard 12,24,36,48 dB/octave High/Low pass.
> I profit another time for ask:
>
> I'm looking for a tool to 'band pass" and "band cut", to do what you can
> see on screen-shot but with exactly same band (to obtain a "flat"
> summation).
> Maybe this tool can do this with two combined. (but band cut?)

Not really. To counter-balance peaking EQ bands (2nd attached
screenshot), you need peaking EQ bands.

High/Low pass (first screenshot) reaches down to -infinity. One can't
counter-balance those since information is lost.

But as for the first: We've reworked the a-Hi/Lo pass so that both high
and low pass can be used simultaneously.

A notch-style filter or filter-bank might also be something to add in
the future, but really a basic common set is the main case for now.

For special case the usual plugins won't go away.

>> * a-Reverb
>>
>> A Schroeder Reverberator.
>> Based on b_reverb.lv2 (setBfree)
> Also essential.
>
> Convolution?

If the question is if it's convolution reverb: No.

If the question is if we'll add a convolver: Probably not. but it's
really up to Damien Z. who curates the set.

The main cases are:

- convenience (when getting started) a-* plugins are just there
- a-* are portable (all OSes that Ardour runs on). You can  share
  sessions.
- quality: a-* plugins work reliably and reproducible, realtime safe
  and click-free automatable (maybe not yet... but that's a requirement
  for release)
- a-* can provide consistent meta-data for control surfaces

so long,
robin

[1]
http://lists.ardour.org/pipermail/ardour-users-ardour.org/2015-May/027196.html