[Ardour-Users] Export hangs after script executing

JoergSorge joergsorge at kom-in.de
Thu Feb 25 00:37:59 PST 2016

Am 24.02.2016 um 19:32 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 19:05:20 +0100, JoergSorge wrote:
>>> For what purpose do you need "multiple devices", if you export? Until

>> O, sorry, I mean not devices but multiple audio software.
>
> I don't know if jack allows to include external software, when
> exporting, at least for hardware connected by jack this can't work,

Sorry, I'm not clear. Everybody has it's own work flow and requirements.
I'm not a musician, and I'm not only using ardour for my own purpose.

What I'm trying is, for years, to establish Ardour in a professional or
semi professional environment in a npo and a local radio station.

And therefore in short: linux audio is a mess!

If you are an editor e.g for news or a radio feature, and you edit the
material with Ardour, you have to check out your original tones, have to
compare with other sources, like youtube videos, podcasts, streams or
the footage in your stations media repo and so on. Parallel you have to
write your text, investigate other sources or your archive.

But what happens?
If you listen e.g. on a internetstream and starting Ardour with ALSA,
the stream stops.

If you using jack1 and making thoughtlessly a double click on a mp3
audio, a player comes up, that’s unfortunately isn't configure for
jack1! Nothing to hear!

You are making live broadcast with mixxx on jack2 but the news was not
yet ready at starting the show. You are exporting from Ardour your last
edit and? Mixxx is free-wheeling, the radio listener has nothing on air
while Ardour is exporting!

You have to check the contributions from the authors for scheduling it
the next day, but the repetition of a radio show from the morning must
exported via Ardour (120 minutes). You can drink a coup of tea while
jack is free-wheeling.

You can say, it's all a question of configuring and choosing the right
system. And over the years, I have a solution for the most of this. But
it's not as practically for reasonable work in a team with people how
don't will to became a linux audio technician. I'm very thankful for the
work on linux audio software. But I think also, it’s the result, that
often developer see only here own, and not the common goal.

Frustrated greetings