[Ardour-Users] A4.4: Critical bug using calf's lv2

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Oct 27 10:34:30 PDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 1:12 PM, Adriano Petrosillo <ampetrosillo at gmail.com>
wrote:

> To be honest I've always found this choice kind of baffling. I'd expect
> the Ardour developers to be *more* motivated to include a package of basic
> plugins (or integrated tools) precisely because the maturity of available
> plugins on Linux is low. By the way, any DSP programmer knows (or should
> know) that most (well made, at least) EQs, compressors, etc. should do
> similar things as the basic theory behind basic signal processing is well
> understood.

Check out the Waves website(s). You will find a substantial range of
compressors, limiters and EQs.

Check out websites of hardware FX processor companies. You will find a
substantial range of compressors, limiters and EQs. You will find people
raving about the sound of one of them and dismissing others.

It doesn't matter whether people's opinions on this stuff are all
placebo/psychosomatic/self-suggestion/bullshit. What matters is that people
believe that EQ <X> sounds better (on some material, on all material) than
EQ <Y>.

In such a world, claiming that we have picked the "best" one of any of
these plugins seems a bit pointless.

But we might do it anyway.