[Ardour-Users] Latency warning at installation

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Oct 17 19:55:20 PDT 2015

On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 10:48 PM, jonetsu at teksavvy.com <jonetsu at teksavvy.com
> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've seen this before and I think I even asked about it a long time
> ago.  I am not using headphones to record acoustic instruments because
> I noticed a slight delay between the instrument itself, a guitar, and
> the played note in the headphones.  There is a warning at installation
> time:
>
> "System failed the quick sanity check... Looking for the cause
>
> !!! WARNING !!! - Your system seems to use frequency scaling.
> This can have a serious impact on audio latency.
> For best results turn it off, e.g. by chosing the 'performance'
> governor.:
>
> This might have to do with the delay that I noticed.

It has no relationship whatsoever.

The warning means "If you try to run a low latency settings, it may not
work".

People have had mixed experiences with this stuff. Some have found that
frequency scaling has no impact, some have found it to be crippling.

Turning frequency scaling on/off is a very distribution-centric task. The
way to do it varies for almost every single Linux distribution.