[Ardour-Users] Basic set of cross-platform plugins?

Gunter Königsmann gunter at peterpall.de
Sun May 31 08:19:43 PDT 2015

On So, Mai 31, 2015 at 4:28 , jonetsu at teksavvy.com
<jonetsu at teksavvy.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 May 2015 09:26:04 -0400
> Thomas Vecchione <seablaede at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  5. At the time the fftw bug was really affecting CALF in Ardour
>>  limiting it's usefulness
>
> FWIW, some Calf plug-ins crashed Ardour 3.x and I was told this was
> due
> to the fftw bug.  I compiled them from source and the problem
> remained.
> Then I upgraded to Ardour 4.0.0, did not recompile the Calf plugins,
> did not change the OS, etc, and the problem went away.  This is
> testimony :)
This might point to a bug in ardour that has been fixed in the mean
time. It does not need to do so necessarily, though:
When one tries to write a virus one important task is to find a way to
make a system crash in a way that it execute the viruses code - with a
high probability.
Sometimes the system will only crash when the right memory location
happens to contain the right value exactly at the right moment. This is
the case if a unitialized buffer is used by the application. Sometimes
it crashes completely and therefore is useless for the virus. And
sometimes the system will jump to a wrong location but the code that is
to be found there won't do anything strange.
Don't know if ardour did anything to actively hinder a buggy calf from
crashing and if would be actually possible. But sometimes crashes
appear and reappear just by accident when completely non-related things
are changed in a program.

Kind regards,

  Gunter.