[Ardour-Users] High number of crashes

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Mon Aug 24 19:42:17 PDT 2015

On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 14:19:33 +1200
Lukas Pirl <ardour at lukas-pirl.de> wrote:

> What kind of disk is it, what file system do you use, how full is it?
>
> If it's BTRFS:
>
> I experienced, that e.g. BTRFS can get very slow on full disks (esp.
> for writes). Also, for non-SSD disks, not having the "autodefrag"
> mount option can result in a fragmented file system over the time.
> Also, some kernel versions have known glitches since the file system
> driver is still a moving target.

It does not make sense.  I mean, it does not make sense that the disk
lags at reading data at start up.  If it were, then there would be
apparent problems in many other instances.  It is ext4 and it is a
regular hard disk, Western Digital I think, not a SSD disk.  For years
of software development with embedded devices and others, my "inner
ear" is suspicious.  Odds are rather against the Ardour/plug-ins setup
than the hardware itself.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a "plug-ins police" ?  Some kind of
QA assurance specification that every audio plug-in should get
through.  This would benefit everyone.  It is a bummer to create with
the back of the mind thinking that this software might crash.  Although
to reassure said back of the mind, Ardour has not lost any data so
far.  At worst, a track has to be redone.  Surely, Ctrl-S is pressed
much more often !

Tschüß !