[Ardour-Users] silent overwrite of session file

victor at svictor.net victor at svictor.net
Sat Jun 28 05:27:01 PDT 2014

Hi everybody,

I'm in the process of moving my audio setup to a new computer. I
reinstalled pretty much everything but not quite all the lv2 and ladspa
plugins. I'd actually like to reinstall just the minimum required by my
former Ardour sessions.

So i opened one of these sessions, it complained that some plugins were
not found (messages like "[ERROR]: Found a reference to a plugin
("http://gareus.org/oss/lv2/meters#spectr30stereo_gtk") that is unknown.
Perhaps it was removed or moved since it was last used"). I closed
Ardour *without saving*. However, upon reopening the session, the
missing plugins were gone. Fortunately I had another copy of the session
file. Comparing the two versions confirmed that Ardour had simply
deleted the references to the missing plugins.

I didn't expect Ardour to silenty overwrite my session file without
asking. I expected it to warn about the missing plugins, and maybe open
the session without them or maybe not. I would then reinstall the
corresponding plugins, reopen the session and everything would be fine.

So question is : is it normal that Ardour modifies the session file
without user's confimation ? Can I disable this behavior somewhere ?

Blue skies,

Victor