[Ardour-Users] silent overwrite of session file

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Jun 28 05:51:29 PDT 2014

On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 8:27 AM, <victor at svictor.net> wrote:

>  Hi everybody,
>
> I'm in the process of moving my audio setup to a new computer. I
> reinstalled pretty much everything but not quite all the lv2 and ladspa
> plugins. I'd actually like to reinstall just the minimum required by my
> former Ardour sessions.
>
> So i opened one of these sessions, it complained that some plugins were
> not found (messages like "[ERROR]: Found a reference to a plugin ("
> http://gareus.org/oss/lv2/meters#spectr30stereo_gtk") that is unknown.
> Perhaps it was removed or moved since it was last used"). I closed Ardour
> *without saving*. However, upon reopening the session, the missing plugins
> were gone. Fortunately I had another copy of the session file. Comparing
> the two versions confirmed that Ardour had simply deleted the references to
> the missing plugins.
>
> I didn't expect Ardour to silenty overwrite my session file without
> asking. I expected it to warn about the missing plugins, and maybe open the
> session without them or maybe not. I would then reinstall the corresponding
> plugins, reopen the session and everything would be fine.
>
> So question is : is it normal that Ardour modifies the session file
> without user's confimation ? Can I disable this behavior somewhere ?

There are numerous conditions under which Ardour will modify the session
file without confirmation. It would be extremely annoying to continually be
asked if the session should be saved after (e.g.) recording.

However, the specific issue that you ran into is not supposed to happen -
we try to retain references to missing plugins precisely to deal with the
kind of situation you ran into. What version of Ardour are you using?