[Ardour-Users] Ardour 3 - export bugs

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 17:06:05 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 7:05 PM, Kim Cascone <kim at anechoicmedia.com> wrote:

> On 07/02/2014 03:14 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
>
> if you mean "crossfades that automatically span the entire length of an
> overlap" ... i have some loose plans to reinstate it as an option after an
> initial overlap is created. i have no plans to reinstate tracking the
> overlap length and updating the crossfade based on that.
>
> that's a shame since it made working on quick and dirty sound design
> prototyping very easy - I guess I'll just have to use the fade-in fade-out
> handles and kludge my own cross fades then :\

Just for the record, I agree with Kim in this situation.  And I will point
out an old mantra I teach my students "There are many right ways to do
something in audio".

There are wrong ways yes, but often times in audio it can be right in many
different ways.  In this case, I often use the region overlaps as it is
MUCH quicker than many other options (And any other option I know of) and I
can get results that are often quite acceptable, especially on material
that is not in the forefront of the mix.  Of course I work on a variety of
material, and while I find it more common in some workflows to use region
overlap crossfades, I do find I often use it in some form or another on all
workflows.

Of course I made this comment on IRC some time ago, but missed the initial
discussion on this particular 'feature'.  I can understand removing it for
the purpose of increasing stability, don't get me wrong, but I would
encourage rethinking eventually the plans for this feature.

       Seablade