[Ardour-Users] recognizing external timebase tempo changes?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun Jan 19 13:32:10 PST 2014

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 4:17 PM, Studio Channing
<studiochanning at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Hi all, is there any way to allow Ardour to recognize tempo changes as
> produced by a different Jack transport master?
>
> We are using a combination of MIDI sources - some "live" from MIDI
> instruments, some sequenced from e.g. Qtractor or Rosegarden. Everything
> then gets routed to Ardour (3.5.74) for recording MIDI and/or audio with
> Jack positional sync enabled.
>
> This works great for constant tempos but when e.g. Qtractor is the jack
> timebase master and does a tempo change, Ardour does not seem to recognize
> this and show/use the new tempo on its side. Even if we stick to audio
> tracks we have problems because we have plugins on those tracks that rely
> on tempo information (e.g. CALF delay)
>
> Is there a combination of settings that will allow Ardour to recognize
> external tempo changes via Jack? Or is this not possible right now? Any
> tips from the community are appreciated, thanks!

Ardour will always ignore the tempo information present in the JACK
transport system.

Applications like Ardour require a "tempo map" rather than a simplistic
instantaneous value for tempo and meter, unless they are to be limited to
pieces that remain at the same tempo + meter throughout. We have never
devised an acceptable, portable "tempo map" description that could be
shared.

--p