[Ardour-Users] recognizing external timebase tempo changes?

Studio Channing studiochanning at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 20 15:53:45 PST 2014

On 01/19/2014 02:32 PM, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 4:17 PM, Studio Channing
> <studiochanning at yahoo.com <mailto:studiochanning at yahoo.com>> wrote:
>

>     Hi all, is there any way to allow Ardour to recognize tempo
>     changes as produced by a different Jack transport master?
>

> Ardour will always ignore the tempo information present in the JACK
> transport system.
>
> Applications like Ardour require a "tempo map" rather than a
> simplistic instantaneous value for tempo and meter, unless they are to
> be limited to pieces that remain at the same tempo + meter throughout.
> We have never devised an acceptable, portable "tempo map" description
> that could be shared.
>
> --p

Thanks for your reply, and for making such great software!

Are you saying that Ardour will always require the tempo information
ahead of time? Otherwise couldn't a tempo map in theory be constructed
on the fly from the incoming values?

In practice that's actually what we see when we reverse roles - using
Ardour as a MIDI sequencer with tempo changes in its session and
Qtractor as the harddrive recorder: when Ardour as timebase master
changes the tempo Qtractor shows/uses the new value and also creates its
own tempo marker at that "spot".

Granted this raises questions - like where that spot is precisely -
sounds like JACK transport will only update tempo between process
cycles? Also the question of how incoming tempo changes interact with a
pre-existing session tempo map - looks like Qtractor just deletes
existing markers as you roll through them..

In any case, what if we abandon tempo via JACK transport - is it
possible to have Ardour recognize incoming tempo changes "on the fly"
via other means? e.g. sending MIDI tempo events FF 51.. ?