[Ardour-Users] Start w/o mixer panel

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Mon Aug 4 14:37:08 PDT 2014

On 08/04/2014 11:30 PM, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 02:14:17 +0200,
> Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote :

>>> Moved it away.  Started Ardour, loaded the session, exited Ardour,
>>> File was created.  W/o the mixer window BTW.
>>
>> Does it work properly now? Is the file updated on every
>> session/save/quit?
>
> Nope, same as before.  One thing to notice, though: w/o the presence of
> the instant.xml file, closing Ardour took a long time with a certain
> apport process taking up to 99% of the CPU for that time.  After that
> ratehr long time, both Ardour and apport were gone.  I do not know
> apport although a quick search showed that this is a debugging/crash
> utility of some sort.  Did it left any file around that could be useful
> in troubleshooting this problem ?

that hints that ardour crashes at exit, before it gets around to
actually save instant.xml.

So while it may exit "KDE-sparkling clean" it does really crash.

Starting ardour from the commandline would be easiest to verify.
See also http://ardour.org/debugging_ardour

The most common cause of these crashes at exit are plugins. e.g. the
Invada ones that debian/ubuntu ship often crash at exit (not only ardour
but other hosts, too)

best,
robin