[Ardour-Users] A3 MIDI latency adjustment technique/advice

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Thu Nov 14 07:12:57 PST 2013

On 11/14/2013 04:03 PM, Brett Clark wrote:
> Im not very technically savvy with midi, so im not sure.  Im using a 20 ft
> midi cable so there's going to be small amounts of jitter but i wouldnt
> think that would be humanly noticable, unless its also being caused by some
> other factors like the drum brain (Alysis DM-5) or my computer midi port
> (M-audo Delta 1010).

Certainly not the cable :) --  very most likely the latter: Hardware
I/O of audio and separate async MIDI I/O.

There's not much you can do about this. Except for buying quality gear
-- or finding some settings that minimize the effect for your system.

RT-kernel is often required to get acceptable low MIDI jitter.

2c,
robin