[Ardour-Users] A3 MIDI latency adjustment technique/advice

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Nov 14 07:28:03 PST 2013

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 16:03:30 +0100, Brett Clark <brett.clark at zirous.com>
wrote:
> I do understand that you are referring to the jitter to point out that i
> will never get all the hits to merge perfectly, but i would sure like to
> get them within a couple ms of each other.

My experiences:

I'm using linux-rt and PCI/PCIe devices to minimize MIDI jitter. The lower
the audio latency, the less MIDI jitter here.
MIDI can be perfectly in unison with recordings. I never had issues
regarding to jitter when using a C64 or Atari ST. PC MIDI is a wicked
thing and not related to the OS. Assumed there where no issues with my RME
card, IOW if I could use low latencies, than MIDI would be ok on my
machine, as long as it will work with linux-rt. 3.10-rts don't run on my
machine.

USB-MIDI is completely unusable.

MIDI within Linux, IOW when not using hardware MIDI, should be without
jitter.

To avoid or at least reduce MIDI jitter don't use Jack1, but Jack2 with
the -Xalsarawmidi switch.
Enable HR Timer for the sequencer.