[Ardour-Users] clicks/peaks removal

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Mar 22 09:56:15 PDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-03-22 at 11:44 -0400, Bill Sack wrote:
> if there are just a few pops or clips, i'd recommend exporting the
> distorted section of that track, opening it in a wave editor like
> audacity, zooming in and re-drawing the wave to smooth out the
> clipping - CCRMA's snd has some algorithms for doing this too. then
> import the fixed file and replace the offending bit. i've done this a
> few times, mostly in drum tracks where a few errant hits have produced
> audible crunches as a result of overloading the analog channel or the
> ADC. i don't think any of the available LADSPA or LV2 plugins will
> help ...
>
> using popfilters & so on is a good idea of course, but the original
> post was a question about post-recording fixes, right?

Yes you're right, but it can't harm to mention how to protect against
that issue in the future. Btw. I very seldom use pop filters myself.

And my apologies, I wasn't aware that "drawing" the wave is possible and
does work, I just wanted to point out that if it's a square, than it's a
square and a filter can't fix this, it just can cancel out the
frequency.

FWIW, a quick googling for "linux audio de-esser" was successfully, so
there perhaps even isn't the need to have the knowledge how to do it
using a "normal" compressor, since not only the "p", but also the "s"
could become problematic.