[Ardour-Users] New Control surfaces or modified osc

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Mar 20 05:27:18 PDT 2013

When you sent this message, you were not subscribed to this mailing list.
This discussion is also probably more appropriate for the ardour
development mailing list.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Johan Blomé <johan at gunhildcarling.net>wrote:

> Hello
> I am rather new working with Ardour (and Mixbus) moving from Windows to
> Linux. I have a special midi bridge that I made for my digital mixer
> (Roland m400) to use it as a control surface in Reaper (and to be remote
> controlled).
> Trying the osc control in Reaper caused me some problems that you may have
> a solution for.
>
> The current osc solution uses the same port both for sending and receiving
> which is convinient for most situations. For my purposes on the other hand
> this causes some problems since the port will be occupied by Ardour so I
> cannot listen (on the localhost) to messages from Ardour. I simple solution
> to this would have been to allow different ports for in/out (Reaper does
> this), I have this hack currently in a private build.

Ardour sends OSC responses back to the address from which the request came.

> I could also write a new control surface from scratch (last resort).
> Question: is there a way to add a new control surface without recompiling?
> Like a plugin?

All control surfaces are plugins, in the sense that they are (small-ish)
shared libraries that Ardour loads at run time. We currently have generic
MIDI, Mackie Control, OSC, and Tranzport "plugins".

> Finally, why the different paths for incoming osc and outgoing?

I am confused. Above, you state that Ardour uses the same port for sending
and receiving ... I am not sure what you mean here.

And what is the reasoning behind /routes/list, should it not be sufficient
> to check in the menu that feedback is wanted?

feedback on *what* ? the incompleted idea here is that the surface need
only be notified about the routes it is currently displaying, not all of
them. routes/lists is used so that the surface can "poll" the current
status, which is handy when it starts up, or does a bank switch etc.

> Hopefully I have missunderstod everything and the solution is simple :)

I don't actually see a problem described here at all ...

--p