[Ardour-Users] New Control surfaces or modified osc

Johan Blomé johan at gunhildcarling.net
Tue Mar 19 15:56:21 PDT 2013

Hello
I am rather new working with Ardour (and Mixbus) moving from Windows to
Linux. I have a special midi bridge that I made for my digital mixer
(Roland m400) to use it as a control surface in Reaper (and to be remote
controlled).
Trying the osc control in Reaper caused me some problems that you may
have a solution for.

The current osc solution uses the same port both for sending and
receiving which is convinient for most situations. For my purposes on
the other hand this causes some problems since the port will be occupied
by Ardour so I cannot listen (on the localhost) to messages from Ardour.
I simple solution to this would have been to allow different ports for
in/out (Reaper does this), I have this hack currently in a private build.

I could also write a new control surface from scratch (last resort).
Question: is there a way to add a new control surface without
recompiling? Like a plugin?
Finally, why the different paths for incoming osc and outgoing? And what
is the reasoning behind /routes/list, should it not be sufficient to
check in the menu that feedback is wanted?

Hopefully I have missunderstod everything and the solution is simple :)
br
Johan Blomé