[Ardour-Users] Ardour 3.0 is released / payment options

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 05:10:54 PDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 7:33 AM, Justin M. Streiner <streiner at cluebyfour.org
> wrote:

> 1. What is the objection to having a Paypal account?

There are many people that have valid objections to Paypal based off past
experiences and essentially being screwed by them.  Many protections they
claim, or are believed, to have just don't exist, and you get better
protection using most credit cards these days.  Along with this there is
large potential for fraud as they are a very common target for phising or
otherwise scams.  They aren't exactly the most friendly of companies to
deal with for those receiving the funds sometimes either.

> 2. What would you suggest as an online payment processor in addition to /
> instead of PayPal?  Google Checkout?

There are many other options, but Ill let Paul's statement stand for itself
on this topic;)

> The selection of an online payment processor is a balance of several
> different points:
> a. The per-transaction payment fees, which are typically charged to the
> person/group that receives the payments.  I don't know if PayPal assesses
> any fees on donations to non-profit organizations (is Ardour incorporated
> as a 501(c)3 in the US?).  I think this might have been discussed on this
> list a few times in the past.

Ardour is not at this time a 501(c)3.  It was discussed in the past, but it
never became an actuality.  I would have to check but I am fairly certain
you still have fees assessed from Paypal even as a 501(c)3, I will try to
remember to check with my work on this today.  This I think I recall being
different in other payment processors that IIRC have special setups for
non-profit organizations, but again would have to look into it, and it
isn't something I have looked into in a long while personally, so again I
let Paul's statements stand for themselves as he has far more often than
me:)

        Seablade