[Ardour-Users] Ardour 3.0 is released / payment options

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Mar 12 04:33:36 PDT 2013

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013, Christian Weikusat wrote:

> Thank you everyone who has been working on this, that is a really nice release!!
>
> But paying via PayPal was a big problem for me.
> When changing the country to Germany, PayPal would not let me proceed
> to pay without registering a PayPal account (which I won't).
> (I have absolutely no problem with using PayPal for the transaction, as
> long as I don't have to register an account!)
>
> After several tries I was very close to just using the free demo
> version (saving plugin parameters is not essential to me) and not pay at
> all.
> But then I found a "solution" for the problem: With Javascript disabled
> I was finally allowed to pay without account. Good for you.
>
> I know this has been said time and again, yet still: Please consider
> establishing some additional means of payment.
>
> After all, I wouldn't really mind using ardour without paying, but I
> guess you would.

Note: I am not an Ardour developer, so my statements do not represent them
in any way.

Two questions:
1. What is the objection to having a Paypal account?

2. What would you suggest as an online payment processor in addition to /
instead of PayPal?  Google Checkout?

The selection of an online payment processor is a balance of several
different points:
a. The per-transaction payment fees, which are typically charged to the
person/group that receives the payments.  I don't know if PayPal assesses
any fees on donations to non-profit organizations (is Ardour incorporated
as a 501(c)3 in the US?).  I think this might have been discussed on this
list a few times in the past.
b. The security/reputation of the processor and the transactions.
c. The ease of integrating XYZ's payment features into Ardour's website.
d. Whatever hoops the payee has to go through on the back end to collect
payments.
e. Whether the processor can handle payments to/from people outside of the
United States.  The list of countries in which a processor can handle
payments is likely to vary widely between processors.

jms